We are joining our friends at Heinemann to present a 3-part webinar series designed to get you ready to help your students move beyond literary analysis! You can read session descriptions and register here.
Here’s an overview:
We are getting ready to go BIG—to a place in students’ writing beyond five-paragraph analyses of themes and formulas that dictate their every sentence; to a place past our fear and their dread; to a place of passion and discovery in analytical writing.
This isn’t an insignificant change, though. To give students the transformational skills of analytical writing that are truly transferable, you will likely be striking out into a brave new world of teaching far different from the way you were taught and far different than the way you’ve been teaching analytical writing in the past. You need to prepare.
That’s what we’re doing in this webinar series: giving you the background, the foundation, the language, and the practice you need to feel ready to jump into this new kind of writing work with your students! In our time together, we will:
- Talk about why this shift is so necessary;
- Give you tips for explaining this change to others;
- Introduce you to the four essential tools of analysis and let you practice with them;
- Help you build creative energy into all the nooks and crannies of your classroom so that passionate writing can happen;
- Teach you how to turn students’ passions into texts for analysis;
- Help you plan how to use activities for discovery and crafting techniques throughout the writing process in whole-class, small-group, and conferring settings.
Join us to get ready to turn analytical writing in your classroom upside down!